We work with many international and out of town clients who often prefers to rent before they purchase so they can understand and familiarize themselves with the neighborhood better before making a purchase commitment. To rent an apartment in Manhattan, the application process can be longer and different than the rest of the country or world, so please follow our step by step guide to better prepare yourself.
Here is the check list before you start searching for the apartment:
- Organize and prepare the necessary documents to bring with you, including:
- Letter of employment and salary verification (include start date if not yet employed)
- Bank account numbers (checking and savings), credit card numbers
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of previous landlords
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of accountant and attorney, if applicable
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of personal and business references
- Tax returns- previous three years will be ideal
- Pay stubs
- Expected bonus (verification from employer)
- Additional sources of income with verification
- Personal identification with photograph – driver’s license or passport
- If relocating, prepare the necessary funds before coming to New York. Landlords will not accept personal or out-of-state checks. They require certified funds. Anyone renting or relocating must:
- Establish a New York bank account before you begin your search. If this is not possible, bring the necessary funds with you.
- Bring enough traveler’s checks to cover the cost of two (2) month’s rent (which must be converted into CERTIFIED CHECKS). This comprises the first month’s rent and one (1) month’s security deposit.
- Bring funds to cover the broker’s fees if your company is not paying covering that expense. Majority of the time, Brokerage fees are paid by the tenant in New York City. These fees are due upon signing of the lease unless your employer is paying the real estate commission for which they will be billed directly.
- Bring funds to cover a Credit Check: $50-$100+, can be credit card, it varies.
- Bring funds to cover possible move-in/move-out fees (See Co-op/Condo Funds Needed).
- Contact us (917)837-8869 to discuss what your criteria is and your availability. The rental apartments turn over is very fast, so having a good plan is the key to secure the apartment you want.
- When you have made your apartment selection, you will be asked to fill out a rental application and one or more miscellaneous documents. We will negotiate price and lease terms for you. Upon acceptance, a credit report will be done, and your references will be checked.
- Leases will be signed and checks presented.
Read our other helpful blogs:
- FAQ for Foreigner Buyer or First time Home buyers
- Condos Near NYU- New York University
- Greenwich Village NY Condos buyers MUST READ
Contact us today at (917)837-8869 to find your perfect apartment. Or email us for a quick response.
[gravityform id=1 name=ContactUs Page Buyers title=false description=false]